Thursday, February 23, 2012

Girls Night In

The same day I made the Cookie Cupcakes I also made my girls this "home-cooked meal." It's simple, it's healthy, and it tasted great (if I do say so myself...and I do). This time, the recipe is 100% original. I've sort of been tweaking the fish recipe for a while now, and I finally got the taste I was going for. The rice dish was more of a "hmm...I want a risotto type dish without it actually being a risotto. Ooo I know exactly what to do!" That part was a little more time consuming and required more attention, but the end product was definitely worth it.

Spicy Pan Seared Tilapia 

Ingredients

3 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce
1tbsp McCormick Onion and Garlic Seasoning
1tbsp lemon pepper
1 tsp Hungarian Paprika
1 tsp Freshly ground pepper (I recommend a blend of red, white, and black)

6 fresh fillets of tilapia 
2tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use an Italian Herb infused type)

Directions:
  • Combine the vinegar and hot sauce in a small prep bowl. Mix until completely blended together. Then, brush onto one side of the fish with a marinade brush. 

  • Combine the dry seasonings in a separate prep bowl. Then, sprinkle an even layer on both sides of the Tilapia. 

  • In a large non-stick skillet heat the Olive Oil to medium-high temperature. Seer the fish until cooked through. (About 2-3min on each side)

  • Serve immediately
Something Like Risotto

Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Long Grain Par-boiled Rice
  • 4 Cups Chicken Stock 
    • 4 cups of water and chicken base (Follow directions on jar)
  • 1 medium white onion 
  • 1 cup of baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 can of Cream of Broccoli Soup 
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic 
  • 4 tbsp Salted Sweet Cream Butter
Directions:
  • Finely chop the onions. (About 1/4" or slightly smaller). Thinly slice the mushrooms and mince garlic. 


  • In a large non-stick skillet, melt the 2tbsp butter. When butter is hot, add the vegetables and sauté until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat to prevent overcooking. 



  • In a large saucepan melt another 2tbsp of butter. Add the rice and sautee until it is translucent (NOT BROWN) about 2-4min. Add the chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Then keep at this temperature stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
  • When liquid has been absorbed, reduce heat and add the soup plus one can of water. Stir well, allow to cook for an additional 5-7min. (until slightly bubbling) Then, add the vegetables and incorporate into the rice. 

  • Garnish with your favorite herb (I like parsley). Serve immediately. 




"If God had intended us to follow recipes, He wouldn't have given us grandmothers."
~Linda Henley
Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment