Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Southern Comfort :-)

I know Corn Chowder doesn't really sound all that appetizing to those who've never tried it, but I loved this recipe. I wasn't even planning on making anything tonight, but thanks to my dad I had to. I had made chicken for the family, but was planning on eating mine later. Unfortunately, when it was time for me to get mine, my dad had already eaten it lol. So, I figured now would be a great opportunity for me to find a new quick, simple, and pork/beef free. The good thing about this soup is that most of the ingredients are things I usually have, at home anyway (onions, celery, potatoes...). 


I didn't do a whole lot of modifying with this one, but I definitely will probably experiment with it in the near future. 




Mimi's Corn Chowder


  • INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 a stick)
  • 6 tablespoons chopped onions
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 2 1/2 cups hot water
  • 2 cups cubed potatoes (1/2 inch pieces)
  • 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 dash white pepper
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 quart half-and-half cream (I personally like heavy whipping cream better)

  • DIRECTIONS

    • 1
      1. Melt butter in large saucepan. Once melted add celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes (not til brown, just til soft).


    • 2
      2. Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper, making sure water covers everything, adding more if not covered completely. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, usually about 20 minutes (The time really just depends on how big the pieces of potato are)   

                  

    • 3
      3. Whisk flour into 1 cup of the half and half and then stir into soup.
    • 4
      4. Add remaining half and half and simmer until soup is thickened to a creamy consistency (usually about 15 minutes).
    • 5
      5. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if wanted. If the chowder is too thick, add some milk, if it is too thin, simmer for 5-10 minutes more.

      “One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”
      - Luciano Pavarotti

      Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment