Friday, January 20, 2012

Food Science




Since I'm changing my major to Food Science Health and Nutrition, I've been spending my spare time doing a lot of research. 
For those that don't know, here's a brief description of what my new career choice will be like. 

A food scientist, or food technologist, looks for better ways to select, preserve, process, package and distribute food products, including the ingredients that go into them. A food scientist also must have extensive knowledge on the nature, composition and behavior of food, such as what happens to its flavor, color or nutritional properties when cooked or placed in storage. Biology, microbiology, chemistry and engineering are just some of the diverse fields of study that food science draws on to ensure safe, high-quality consumer products.

I came across this article while doing some browsing between classes. Since my blog is all about cooking, I thought it would be a fitting addition since I haven't posted in a while. 

Although this article is referring to Europeans, it is still very much relevant to Americans. 
"Many different factors affect the type of food chosen and consumed, but the skill to prepare appropriate food plays an important role. A lack of skills in preparing and cooking food could impact on health as it can limit choices. Can building people’s confidence in cooking food make Europeans healthier?"
Click here to read more : Cooking Skills and Health



No comments:

Post a Comment